Pareto principle 1
Photo: (free for commercial use)

The 80/20 rule is also known as the Pareto principle. This rule states that roughly 80% of the consequences come from 20% of the problems for many outcomes.

Also read:

Business Technology Management

4 Freelance Sites that can Help Businesses

This rule states that 80% of the output comes from 20% of the input. Suppose you prioritize 20% of the fact that produces the best results for your organization or company, this principle helps you identify an entity's best assets and use them efficiently to create maximum value. If your work is related to business and economics, this principle is beneficial for you.

History of 80/20 Rule

Pareto was born in Italy in 1848. He became a philosopher and economist. He noticed that 20% of the pea plant in his garden generated 80% of healthy pea pods. Due to this observation, he came to know about the uneven distribution. He also applied the 80/20 Rule on other things, he investigated different industries and found at 80% of production typically came from just 20% of the companies.

You can use the Pareto principle in your life for many purposes, such as the weight loss, study, productivity, or investing. This rule is very effective in every matter.

80/20 Rule in Daily Life

Following are some examples to use this principle in your daily life:

  1. Pareto principles identify all your weekly daily tasks.
  2. Pareto principles help you to create a plan to do more things.
  3. Use Pareto principles to prioritize any project.

80/20 Rule in Dieting 

You can use this is rule to follow a diet in order to lose weight. You can eat an 80% nutritional diet and allow yourself to eat less healthy food for the remaining 20% of your meal.

80/20 Rule in Work

You can prioritize 20% of the factors, that will lead to the best results since 80% of the outcomes come from 20% of the causes.

Juran uses Pareto's principles by applying the 80/20 Rule. He studied that 20% of the defects cause 80% of problems in the final product. Most project managers know this technique. They know that 20% of work consumes 80% of the time and resources.

Some examples of this rule are the following:

  1. 80% of the company’s revenues are generated by 20% of clients
  2. 80% of quality issues are due to 20% of the company's product.

On the other side of the rule:

  1. 20% of investors supply 80% of funding
  2. 20% of employees used 80% of all sick days.

You can find an unlimited number of examples of 80/20 rule because it can help you in most matters.

Read more: Sales Boosting Strategies 2021

You can enhance your productivity in your business while using this rule. Choose the items you want and make a list of them. This is the most critical step. When you focus on these issues, it can automatically provide you with the most desired results. On the other side, you can mark the risks of a project, select the most severe risk that is likely to cause damage and focus on risk learning activities. Also, don't ignore the other risks and distribute your effort accordingly.

Follow us on our Facebook page